Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What Makes a Good Hymn Last?


Today at the office, a colleague put the March-April 2008 issue of Worship Leader in my hands--and lo and behold, there I was.

I'd completely forgotten that they'd interviewed me about what makes a good hymn last and about the relative strengths and weaknesses of traditional hymns compared to contemporary worship music.

You can read the article here. I hope you'll notice the way my remarks feed into Bob Webber's notion of "blended worship."

1 comment:

Chris Monroe said...

Nice interview, David. Interesting comments about the musicality of memorable melodies.

One hymn I've long considered as having enduring power, is "Before the Throne of God Above."

As far as contemporary hymnody goes, what are your thoughts on "In Christ Alone (My Hope is Found)" [S.Townsend & K.Getty]?